Thursday, July 26, 2012

Moving (or, UPS Logistics Got Nuthin' on Me)

Disclaimer: what you're about to read is a post in which I brag about my accomplishments. If you're not interested in reading, feel free to skip this one - I don't blame you. It's here because it is still a relevant part of my experience being out west.

Over the last 4 years, I've essentially moved quite a few times as outlined below:
  1. NJ to freshman-year dorm (August 2008)
  2. Freshman-year dorm to NJ (May 2009)
  3. NJ to sophomore-year dorm (August 2009)
  4. Sophomore-year dorm to junior-year off-campus apartment (May 2010)
  5. Junior-year off-campus apartment to CA (June 2011)
  6. CA to senior-year off-campus apartment (August 2011)
Some people may not consider moving in and out of dorms as "moving" because you're not really dealing with furniture, signing up for utilities, etc. I include it because it still requires one to deal with all logistical hassles that accompany any relocation (figuring out where you're going, how and when you're getting there, and more). Additionally, I've helped many friends and roommates (even my landlord) move over the years, even if it only consisted of maneuvering furniture up/down stairs and around tight corners. My point is that I feel I have a decent amount of experience in dealing with moves, and that is shows in how I planned things for this move - my 7th in 4 years.

Finding an Apartment

Looking for a new place to live is pretty much the first step in any moving process. Without it, you will arrive in your destination city essentially homeless. Some people can do this and find a place they like within 30 days of arriving. I didn't like this prospect, and given how difficult it is to find a 3BR that fit all of our criteria, I decided to do things my way (read: control freak).

In early June, I contacted the realty company helping my roommates and me find a new place. I told them what I was looking for, as well as when I wanted to physically look at the options. We scheduled tours for June 26th, and ended up with a place where the lease started July 14th (read more here, same as the previous link). All we had to do was get the lease signed and returned to them by 5pm on that day. Easier said than done...

Moving... Everything

Next up was scheduling the movers. First, one guy came to the house to get a feel for what would be getting moved, what rooms it was in, and where the easiest place would be to get it to the truck. That was easy enough, but next we have to schedule packing and loading - 2 separate events. The moving company gives you a 5-day window (somewhat of your choice) during which people will show up to pack all your stuff in boxes and (not necessarily the same day) load everything into their truck. There is then another week-long window a couple weeks later when they will deliver everything to your new address. When scheduling this, I had to take the following into account:
  • My roommate (Calvin) did not return from Asia until July 12th and would not have his stuff here before then
  • I wanted to go to IKEA in NJ to get some basic furniture (also required borrowing a family friend's minivan) to have the movers take and needed to go in between various trips
  • I start working July 30th and wanted everything to arrive before then so I wouldn't have to "move" once work started.
  • The later I waited to schedule this, the less likely I would be able to get the timeframe I want.
The end result was that I schedule the pack and load from July 13th - July 18th, with a delivery anywhere from July 24th - August 4th. This would, worst case, give Calvin at least some time to get home, pack, and bring everything to my house (but would likely require my help to have it done on time). Additionally, there was a decent chance everything would arrive in Seattle before I started work. Lastly, it set July 23rd as a natural day for my departure since I needed to make sure I would be there for the first possible day the movers could arrive.

I also needed to reserve the moving elevator

One thing I didn't get at IKEA in NJ for the movers was a mattress. The reason for that was that I didn't want to give them one and risk it not getting to Seattle before I started working, thus leaving me essentially nothing to sleep on. Even though I had temporary housing for a month, I wanted to be commuting from my actual apartment and not straddle 2 while getting used to a completely new routine. So, once in Seattle (today, actually) I got a ZipCar large enough to hold the mattress and picked it up. That was a little scary since when I went to get it, they didn't have any in the pickup area. I had to ask one of the workers, and they luckily had just gotten a shipment of them that day, so I just had to wait for them to get me one. I didn't really have the flexibility to come back another time, so I was really appreciate of how helpful they were.

Paperwork

We received the lease on July 10th, and had to have it returned by the end of the day on the 14th (a Saturday). All 3 of us had to initial and sign numerous times throughout the 40+ page contract, and that was going to be no easy feat. My other roommate (Andrew) was scheduled to bring all his stuff to my house on July 13th, the day Calvin got back. The sequence of events would be as follows:
  1. Andrew arrives, unloads his stuff, and signs the lease
  2. Andrew & I drive to Calvin's to help him pack and have him sign the lease
  3. Calvin & Andrew pack while I drive to a FedEx place open late enough to overnight the package
  4. Andrew & I return and unload Calvin's stuff
Keep in mind this all happened the day Calvin got back from a vast time difference with extreme jet-lag over I don't even know how many hours. What a trooper.

The Payoff

In the end, it was all worth it, if for no other reason than the fact that things have unfolded in the "worst-case" scenario. That's not to say things went poorly, though. In fact, they've gone better than expected.

I received a call on the 12th that the packers would arrive the following day, so it was imperative we have everything at my house by then. The people actually taking away the stuff would come the following day. Later on, the final delivery would occur on Friday July 27th, perfectly in the middle of when I arrived and when I started work. Utilities started on time, and our internet would also be installed the 27th. Internet, or lack thereof, is literally the last thing preventing me from staying in my actual apartment. It's almost more important than having a mattress to sleep on (the floors are carpeted so I could deal with that). Randall Munroe knows what I'm talking about.

What all this means is that all the planning paid off, and my incessant nagging of my roommates was vindicated. I've learned that practically nothing ever goes according to plan, and so when something like this does work out, it's that much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment